Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cous-Cous Catchoo


My eldest just started kindergarten. This means, for 6 blissful weeks, it's just my 3 year old with me at home.
Instead of clinging to my making-my-kids-something-and-eating-their-leftovers-for-lunch ways, I've decided to make quick, easy, yet tasty and nutritional(ish) foods for lunch.
Today, this included a couscous salad. Couscous is a grain product made from semolina, basically like a tiny pasta. It's available in all grocery stores, and you can find whole wheat to make it more healthy. I found a tri-colored variety in the bulk section of a local grocery store for $1/lb.
My favorite thing about couscous is that you don't really cook it. You cook it by re hydrating it in boiling liquid (I prefer chicken stock to add flavor) with a 3/4 to 1 ratio, then cover it and let it sit for 5 minutes. Once it's "cooked," the world is your oyster when it comes to eating it.
Today, I started with 1/2 cup of dry couscous, added 3/4 cup chicken stock (actually I use bouillon since it's less expensive). Once it had been covered and sat for a bit, I added 1/2 a cucumber, 1 tomato, a couple ounces of leftover chicken, some lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Easy and delicious.
Normally I'd add some crumbled feta instead of the Parmesan, but there wasn't any at home and I didn't want that as an excuse to eat PBJ.
What's your favorite way to eat couscous?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the idea! Sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me about cous cous! I'm jealous that it's so cheap where you are! Apparently, all the stores in my area decided that its an exotic food and demands to be $5 a box. I love it because its so quick to make, and I'm working up to actually liking what I mix into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got the expensive boxes of couscous, too, but I found a warehouse store that sells it by the pound! I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forget about my couscous as well ... I have a big container in my pantry. I love the idea of making a salad out of it with chopped veggies.

    ReplyDelete