Sunday, March 13, 2011

No Wheat? No Prob!

I'm not Catholic, but I do my own version of Lent every year. I think it's a good tradition, and it does our body and spirit good to have a little more self control, IMO.
This year, I decided to give up something I love very much but I know doesn't love me: WHEAT.
I was told by an Iridologist who looked like Dr Ruth's older sister that I have a slight wheat allergy. I know, she's not a doctor, but the eyes don't lie.
Anyway, the less wheat I eat, the better I feel, and that's the truth. That's also what led me to give up wheat for this year's sacrifice.
Many of my favorite foods are made of wheat: bread, pasta, pizza crust, pasta, and pasta. Oh, and pasta. I thought that this would mean a really difficult withdrawal phase for me. Thankfully, that isn't the case. I've found excellent, low cost meals that are not shy on flavor. For example:
This is a 4 oz salmon fillet ($0.75), pan fried with a little Pam, a screaming hot pan, and cooked skin side down. It's seasoned with dill and kosher salt, then covered with the heat lowered. I served it over half a cup of rice and next to some steamed broccoli and asparagus (bought on sale) cooked over the rice. Everything got drizzled with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese, and cost easily less than $1.75 for the whole meal.
Was it delicious? YES.
Did I miss wheat? NO.
I'm open to no-wheat recipes, if you'd like to share your favorites. And by "I'm open" I mean, please share.

2 comments:

  1. Is it a wheat allergy or a gluten allergy? Because avoiding wheat still leaves you with rice, potatoes, yams, buckwheat, barley, quinoa, polenta...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wheat sensitivity, not even an allergy. I just feel gross when I eat more than a small serving of wheat, and I feel good when I avoid it. LAME.
    I dabble in all those things you mentioned, except barley and buckwheat. I can't seem to wrap my tastebuds around barley and buckwheat.

    ReplyDelete