Monday, January 24, 2011

Drinkable Salad

I hopped on the green-smoothie bandwagon.
Recently, I read an article in TIME magazine that suggested adults need 8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day instead of the recommended 5. I love my veggies, but it's tough to get even 5 servings in, let alone 8! What to do, what to do.
A friend suggested a green smoothie, which thing I had mocked before.
Today I made my first one like this:
2 cups spinach
1 cup peaches
1 banana
1/2 cup fat free yogurt
tiny bit of water
2 tsp splenda
It sounds gross and looks like guacamole, but the taste isn't bad. And 4 whole servings of F&V.
Anyone out there try green smoothies? What's your favorite thing to sneak in there?

4 comments:

  1. the banana makes it gooey (like guacamole) so I tend to leave it out. be careful of hidden calories. ie, flax seeds. they're very, very good for you, but they're very fattening. try to stick to "clean" smoothies. things like protein powders, etc, add a TON of calories. I try to eat my protein as in an egg or whatever. just saying ... otherwise, your smoothie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a green smoothie fan. I think the banana PLUS the yogurt PLUS the peaches maybe put it over the top.

    keep it simple with 1 cup OJ. 1 small or med. banana. BIG handful of baby spinach. Few ice cubes and a touch of vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started drinking these, too. I suggest using Agave nectar for a sweetener. It doesn't spike your blood sugar, which is a problem for me, and it is all natural. I throw in whatever I have. Celery seems to have too strong of a taste, however. The bountiful Basket stuff all works great!

    ReplyDelete