Monday, May 23, 2011

Polenta

I don't know why Polenta has escaped my sight for a flatbroke favorite. Polenta is corn meal that has been boiled until it's a creamy, yummy foundation for any meal.
I like to cook my polenta in reduced fat broth for a lighter version or in milk and cheese for a heavier (non-diet friendly) creamier version.
Today, I made 1/4 cup of polenta in 1 cup of broth. Then I topped it with sauteed onions and squash with basil, deglazing the pan with vinegar. It was so comforting, and the whole dish cost less than $1, and I could only eat about half.
Another favorite way to make polenta is with spaghetti sauce instead of pasta.
My FAVORITE way to eat polenta (also the one I never ever do anymore because of the calories) is to wrap it around a piece of mozzarella cheese and deep fat fry it until it turns a light golden brown. Then dip it in marinara. It's spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment