Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Green Love



When I was in junior high, my friends and I would sing this song all the time. It mentions "some of those tasty sprouts, the ones that they call Brussels." I had no idea what it was talking about, and it didn't matter because we changed it to "Russell" after the boy my friend Jeta had a crush on.

My first experience with Brussel sprouts was a terrible one. Imagine spending all day on the train, then finally arriving at a youth hostel in Prague, where I was promised dinner but given instead a bowl of greasy broth with one floating Brussel sprout. I was 16 and didn't know that this was the first course. I thought that was it. That's the day I discovered that my mom was right: when you're really hungry, you actually will eat what's given to you.

A few years ago, I decided to give said sprouts the benefit of the doubt. What has resulted is a life-long love affair with Brussel sprouts. I love them steamed, boiled, and especially roasted. I love them in butter, drizzled in olive oil and sea salt, or marinated in balsamic. I love them the way Dan made them last night, steam roasted in lemon pepper marinade mixed with pork sirloin.

I have yet to follow an actual recipe for Brussel sprouts because I haven't felt like it was necessary. They are inexpensive if you catch the right season and a good grocer. I just bought a stem for $2 and it fed us plenty with leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Even the frozen sprouts, when doctored correctly, are inexpensive and delicious.

Do you have a favorite way of eating Brussel sprouts? Or are you phobic?

4 comments:

  1. you and Dain ... I'm not a fan ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try them, but they look so terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta say - not a fan! They are about the only vegetable I can't stand. But, maybe I should try them the way you described. And roasted sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, ye doubters...
    I'll roast you some up anytime with some tubers in balsamic, rosemary and garlic. You'll be believers in no time.

    ReplyDelete