Monday, December 20, 2010

Winter Frittata

I'm a sucker for squash, both the sport and the food. But since this is a food blog, I'll focus on the food.
Yellow squash and zucchini are excellent fall/winter food. They are inexpensive (I bought 2 small of each for a total of $1) and their flavor profile lends itself to nearly anything you can imagine.
Yesterday, I added the squash to onions, cumin, oregano, garlic, sauteed, and we ate that as burritos. Today I took the leftovers and made a frittata.
There was between 1-2 cups of this mixture left. I added 8 slices of cubed Canadian Bacon which I crisped up (bacon or panchetta would have been yummier, but this is what I had on hand). Then I whipped up 4 eggs and 2 egg whites with a smidge of milk and a bit of kosher salt. I poured the mixture over the leftover squash and ham and cooked it over low heat for 10 minutes, then tossed it in a 350 degree oven for another 10 minutes.
I sliced it like a pie and served up one slice per plate, along with some toast. It was a delicious and filling dinner, not to mention very healthy and wallet-friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment